After doing SEO for 20 years (yes, 20) I still love a good SEO experiment.
Well my good friend Jason Heller gave me an opportunity to particupate in some digital justice.
I’ve had to register domain names myself in the past to wake up executives at companies that failed to live up to their promises and responsibilities. Jason feels that way about Best Poison Ivy Removal located in Greenlawn, NY too.
Jason will surely dispatch other loyal friends in an attempt to teach yet another business owner that doing the right thing is the proper way to run a business and doing the wrong thing can ruin a business.
Gotta admire the chutzpah (best word for it, but audacity works too) of this spammer.
If Warren Buffet’s legal team has it slow this week they could go all “Raymond Reddington” on this con artist. 😉
email@example.com; on behalf of; warren buffett [firstname.lastname@example.org] (love the use of three distinct email addresses)
Greetings to You
You have been gifted $1.5 MILLION USD donation fund. Contact us at this email for your claim: email@example.com
I hope this information meet you well as I know you will be curious to know why/how I selected you to receive a cash sum of $1.500,000,00 USD, our information below is 100% legitimate, please see the link below:
My wife and I decided to donate the sum of $1.500,000,00 USD to you as part of our charity project to improve the lot of 10 lucky individuals all over the world from our $12 Billion Usd I and My Wife Mapped out to help people before she died. We prayed and searched over the internet for assistance because i saw your profile on Microsoft email owners list and picked you. Susan my wife and i have decided to make sure this is put on the internet for the world to see. my wife has cancer and she died at colchester regional hospital, my wife just didn’t die but she was a great person and I miss her so much and this is why I have decided to do one thing i promised her forever. as you could see from the webpage above, am not getting any younger and you can imagine having no much time to live. although am a Billionaire investor and we have helped some charity organizations from our Fund.
You see after taken care of the needs of our immediate family members, Before she died we decided to donate the remaining of our Billions to other individuals around the world in need, the local fire department, the red cross, Haiti, hospitals in truro where Susan underwent her cancer treatment, and some other organizations in Asia and Europe that fight cancer, alzheimer’s and diabetes and the bulk of the funds deposited with our payout bank of this charity donation. we have kept just 40% of the entire sum to our self for the remaining days because i am sick and am writing you from hospital computer because i don’t know when i will die.
To facilitate the payment process of the funds ($1.500,000.00 USD) which have been donated solely to you, you are to send us
your full names……………..
your contact address…………….
your personal telephone number……………
so that i can forward your payment information to you immediately. I am hoping that you will be able to use the money wisely and judiciously over there in your country. please you have to do your part to also alleviate the level of poverty in your region, help as many you can help once you have this money in your personal account because that is the only objective of donating this money to you in the first place.
I like to re-assure you of the legitimacy of this services as we will not be involved in any fraudulent act and will never be. use the money wisely, we only want to feel good by helping people this time of the year, this is the only thing that makes my wife happy too even now that she is not here with me any more, we have too much to give away as I only have few months left on earth. I will advise as you as the prospective lucky Person to be calm not to loose this great opportunity which millions of people are trying to entangled but the chances just couldn’t come for them because a lot of people are out there to discourage them as they don’t know how it works, and have never seen such before.
Thank you for accepting our offer, we are indeed grateful You Can Google my name for more information: Mr Warren Buffett.
God bless you
Mr Warren Buffett Billionaire investor
Nonprofit causes may be the only place where interns can gain experience in a tight labor market.
Over the last several years both the DOL (US Department of Labor) and private litigation have nearly shut down the opportunity for unpaid internships as a training method for many positions where experience is considered critical even to land an entry level position.
For-profit companies deciding how many paid internships to offer have to take into account not just the low productivity of an intern during training, but also the loss of productivity for all those supervising the interns.
The DOL does however allow for interns working at nonprofits to be unpaid (for the time being). A similar waiver covers volunteerism.
“The FLSA makes a special exception under certain circumstances for individuals who volunteer to perform services for a state or local government agency and for individuals who volunteer for humanitarian purposes for private non-profit food banks. WHD also recognizes an exception for individuals who volunteer their time, freely and without anticipation of compensation for religious, charitable, civic, or humanitarian purposes to non-profit organizations. Unpaid internships in the public sector and for non-profit charitable organizations, where the intern volunteers without expectation of compensation, are generally permissible. WHD is reviewing the need for additional guidance on internships in the public and non-profit sectors.”
Perhaps the nonprofit causes should take advantage of the glut of under-employed recent graduates.
Supporting a Cause for We-Care.com’s $100K #MillionDimes event.
If you are a celebrity, (big or small) or even just a power Tweeter, selecting a cause to support with a Tweet (or more) in the We-Care.com #Million Dimes $100,000 Charity Challenge can be a perplexing task.
Here are some guidelines that might help you:
1) Do you believe in the cause and its mission? That may seem obvious, but its sometimes overlooked.
2) Is the cause fairly efficient with its funds? Fundraising and general efficiency is important, but it isn’t the only barometer of a good cause because some causes need to market themselves heavily to reach sufficient size to attack the problem they propose to address. Places like CharityNavigator and Guidestar can be helpful.
3) Is the cause good at Social Media? Hey, after all this is a Twitter promotion, so since the cause you support is likely to get a lot more followers as a result of your support, will they know what to do with those followers?
4) Does the cause play nice with others who have a similar mission? There’s a pay-it-forward element of the #MillionDimes promotion. Is this cause culturally disposed to cooperation?
5) Will the cause resonate with your followers? You may love a niche cause, but if your followers are unlikely to agree that the cause is worthy the retweet rate will be low and the cause won’t get as many of the Million Dimes at a dime per valid tweet.
Hey hope that helps.
The We-Care.com $100K #MillionDimes promotion isn’t just about getting Twitter votes (at a dime a piece) to get you the largest possible donation from We-Care.com (which is $1000 per US-based nonprofit). It’s also about using the excitement about a dime a tweet to activate your current twitter followers, gain more followers, and get the word out about your cause.
You only have 140 characters and your supporters (or you if you are tweeting to get a retweet) have to include your handle (which is automatically added in a retweet), the #MillionDimes hashtag and the @WeCare handle and a link to the rules. The tweeters must also be following @WeCare for the vote to count, so it’s good to note that. A link to the We-Care.com/MillionDimes site is also good because the user can see the results and rules there. With your leftover characters you may be able to reinforce your cause message or include a link to your own blog where you talk about the #MillionDimes and your cause.
Example Tweet: Plz RT Support @Causename. Tweets & Retweets = $.10 from @WeCare #MillionDimes $100K Challenge. http://www.we-care.com/MillionDimes 4 details.
There”s room in the above tweet for another tidbit or a link (automatically shortened URL) to your site. Of course as long as your tweet includes your handle, the @WeCare handle and the #MillionDimes hashtag then your readers can easily retweet and earn votes.
Here are ten ways to maximize the value for your cause:
1) Find your most influential or largest followers and @Mention them in a tweet or consider DMing them asking for a ReTweet (in case they missed the @Mention if you tweeted at them)
2) Celebrities: Find Real Celebrities who tweet and try to get their attention with a @Mention or if you are lucky enough to have them following you, then consider using a DM (Direct Message)
For example: @ladygaga Plz RT Support @BTWFoundation. Tweets & Retweets = $.10 from @WeCare #MillionDimes $100K Challenge. http://www.we-care.com/MillionDimes 4 details
3) Power-Tweeters: Reach out to Celebrities and Power-Tweeters by finding someone who they might have a close relationship with and appeal to that third person influencer.
4) Help Other Causes too: Use the pay-it-forward feature of the promotion. If you tweet at another nonprofit cause and they retweet that vote counts for both and of course their followers are likely to continue retweeting both of your handles. Isn’t that cool? Those retweets with two causes in them count double, so you end up leveraging the supporters of other causes. Even though your tweet/vote only counts five times per day, you can activate other nonprofit causes and their supporters by @mentioning with a valid #MillionDimes tweet to get their attention.
5) Call in a favor from a corporate sponsor with a good Twitter following. As long as it fits with the corporation’s culture they mighte be open to tweeting on your behalf or re-tweeting.
6) Use your email list: The #MillionDimes promotion is a good excuse to send out an email but don’t exclusively focus on the promo, also include other marketing messages and perhaps a donation or volunteerism call to action.
7) Create an “event” on Facebook and promote it so your FB users who also tweet can activate easily.
8) Use Google+ (Google Plus) page to promote the event. Obviously if you haven’t built up a Google Plus following then that might not help.
9) Use the phone: WHAT?
- Yep, that’s right. A phone call is often a more successful way to reach one of the influential Celebrity or Power-Tweeters.
- Use the phone (part 2): Send a text message to a VIP if you have an existing relationship.
10) Reach out to bloggers and press.
Best of luck maxing out both your We-Care.com donation but also the added visibility that a fun promotion like #MillionDimes can have.
Another boat broke free and collided with Mint Mist rubbing against her Port side for several hours during Sandy’s wrath, snapping her port spring line and smashing her window. Despite that, Mint Mist came out of Sandy smelling like a rose.
Amazon’s been serving me personalized ad creative and I like it.
Plus they’ve done a really great job with their ad prefernces page. Better than Google and better than any NAI member that I’ve noticed, or AboutAds.info licensee I’ve tested.
This week, Didit acquired Inceptor, a top search marketing firm from SuperMedia. Both the Didit and Inceptor teams look forward to working together. While the combined agencies can offer a much more in-depth search engine marketing, display and social media together Inceptor will remain an independent brand located in the Boston area.
OK, so I’ve seen the dental and chiropractic deals. But now Groupon has offered something much more mainstream medical as a deal.
Again, my interpretation is that Groupon is fee splitting and in NY state that jeopardizes both the doctor and the fee recipient (Groupon who collects the fee). My email inbox showed a link to: http://www.groupon.com/deals/amg-medical-group-2
Like a driving exam, a physical exam ensures bodies are properly responding to their environment and have developed quick reflexes when pelted with deer. Make sure your body is in tiptop shape with this Groupon: for $59, you get a new-patient checkup at AMG Medical Group (a $200 value). This offer is valid at locations in Manhattan,Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island. The checkup includes:
- A complete physical exam, including medical history (a $150 value)
- Blood sugar, cholesterol, stool, and urinalysis tests (a $50 value)
I assist with marketing my wife’s cognitive therapy practice, but watching Groupon and others continue to offer deals in licensed medical areas is like doing 65 MPH (ten above the limit) on the highway and seeing 18 consecutive cars blow by you at 90 MPH plus. You are tempted to hit the gas but know if you follow the pack you’ll probably be the one bagged.
Today I got:
Zoom Teeth Whitening or Complete Dental-Implant Procedure with X-rays and Porcelain Crown (Up to 84% Off)
It’s tempting to fall in behind these medical practitioners on behalf of my wife’s business and hit the gas. But I’m not risking my wife’s NY State Psychologist license just to craft some cool Groupon deal (like a dating or relationship power session).
Groupon seems to me to clearly be fee splitting and in NY state that’s a no-no for both the practitioner and the fee recipient.
Exasperating. I with it would get resolved via a clarification in law or a legal challenge.
Wow, look at how well these nasty organized crime phishing emails are impersonating GoDaddy. One of the problems with being recognizable as a brand is you become the phishing target.
Its actually pretty easy to get an app, software, or browser plugin mistakenly classified as a virus or malware.
Family computers (ones shared by several people) can result in this form of mistaken identity. For example, I’m a founder of a company called We-Care.com which has a browser plugin for IE, Firefox and Chrome. In addition to the ASPCA and other causes like Clean Water Action distributing the plugins directly, We-Care.com also convinces some software publishers to offer the plugin as an optional… YES OPTIONAL part of their software install.
So, what happens, one family member sees that the We-Care plugin, costs nothing, generates revenue for a cause (example) and is a great way to give back, FREE. But because the We-Care software announces every time a cause it being supported other family members get freaked out and think the computer got infected.
When you’ve got millions of installs out there, it’s easy for a few people to get mislead.
The We-Care team covered this issue recently on their blog.
Ever since upgrading to FF7, I’ve been getting the following wording from Google AdWords:
We have detected that you are using an older web browser. For better performance with the AdWords interface, we recommend using a modern browser such as Firefox 3.5 or later, Chrome, Safari 4 or later, or Internet Explorer 8 or later. Learn more